Many art galleries prefer artwork that is framed with acrylic. Acrylic is a type of glazing that can be used in place of glass for picture framing. It is often referred to by the brand name of Plexiglas. Frame Destination sells a high quality acrylic manufactured by Evonik under the brand name Acrylite®. Listed below are the pros and cons of acrylic.
- Lightweight compared to glass
- More optically pure than glass (no green tint)
- Excellent thermal insulator
- Scratches easily
- Will attract dust due to its static electric properties
- Susceptible to bowing (not as stiff as glass)
- More expensive than standard glass
We suggest that you weigh the pros and cons before deciding if acrylic is right for you. For instructions on how to clean acrylic please see our care guide here: Acrylic and Plexiglas Cleaning and Static Removal
References: “Caring for your art: A guide for artists, collectors, galleries and art institutions” by Jill Snyder.